Monday, July 29, 2024

Part 2 - New Brunswick

Sunday

We crossed over the border into New Brunswick about 12:30 p.m. on Sunday. Our first stop was St. Andrews, a cute little coastal town. When Ken found the pub with a gf menu he had no idea how cute St. Andrews was. It was adorable! We parked the car after driving the car for half an hour and as soon as we were out of the car we could smell the sea air. It was a perfect first stop in New Brunswick!



When we got out of the car we walked down to the beach and walked out along a pier. The tide was out. This is the Bay of Fundy which is famous for it's high tides. We were closer here to the mouth so the tidal difference isn't as great here. That being said, I really know nothing about tides and how high or low they usually are. There was a huge stretch of land which looked like ocean floor and the dock at the end of the pier looked like it could change heights, but we weren't staying for high tide, so we didn't get to see what that would actually look like.







My lunch of salad and gf fish cakes was so yummy!
Ken had lobster roll. He was so happy!!!
The town was adorable.
Next up we went to the Aquarium at the Huntsman Marine Science Centre. It was small and perfect. We spent just about an hour there - hour and a half maybe, and it was perfect!




There were three seals. We watched them being fed. They were so cute. 



There was a touch table and the girls could hold and touch things found in the Bay of Fundy - star fish mostly and a sand dollar or two. I didn't realize that star fish were in cold places! Sand dollars either for that matter.


We spent a chunk of time at the pool above and then a chunk of time at the viewing area below. Fiona ran back and forth playing with the seals, it was so funny! 




After that we climbed back in the car and drove north to St. John. I had to take a pic of Kate sleeping he he!
Driving into St. John reminded me of downtown Hamilton. It had that same industrial unloved feel. And I think that first impression was accurate.
The hotel wasn't in a great area and the hotel wasn't great, but it was okay. It was cheap-ish and I'm really thankful we were only there one night. There were two beds and no cot so Ken and Fiona and I shared a bed which was you know not great.
We explored a cute little area - it was closing but we saw a little of it. They've taken shipping containers and built a little shopping/concert/food area out of it. It would have been fun to get there when things were open and not right at closing.

My LOVE!

We drove around a little more and Ken found us a beach, Tin Can Beach. We were able to walk down to the water and Fiona was able to climb up rocks and scare us a bit. 
We went to a grocery store to pick up some food/snacks - Sobeys are everywhere!
Never heard of big8 pop before. 
Fiona's new friend - Diva joined the family today. She had to have her, she was purchased at the aquarium. 

We're all happy to keep driving to Dartmouth/Halifax tomorrow. St. Andrews was amazing, St. John was well kind of disappointing. I suppose there needs to be industry and industrial type places though. Industry makes the world work. And it does look like they're trying to make it more beautiful. There was construction in a number of places. 

Milo's Pupdate - a hot day, he spent lots of time in the shade.

Monday

Breakfast was something and then we were off. Today's adventure, Hopewell Rocks. We're going to be there at low tide which is awesome, we get to walk on the ocean floor! The drive from St. John to Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park is two hours. The drive was pretty. Oh, one little thing about the drive. There's Irving gas stations everywhere and they have bathrooms, anyway I had to go, we stopped and I picked up a hat for Ken. He didn't bring a hat and I saw it and had to get it!



What to say about the rocks. First the walking lol. We parked at the back of the parking lot. Walked to the entrance where you pay, then walked around the main building, then you walk down a trail, then the stairs, then the walking around the rocks, then the walking up the stairs, then the walking up the trail to the main building again - there is a lot of walking! We weren't quite prepared for all of the walking and everything... BUT when we got to the end of the trail and caught a glimpse of the rocks, the scene took my breath away. Took. My. Breath. Away. It was a stunning sight to behold. 

We also weren't prepared for the mud. I suppose on one hand I don't think of ocean and mud, I think of sand. And I don't think of getting stuck in ocean mud. But on the other hand, why did I assume anything? Fiona desperately wanted to go to the water, but the mud, the mud covered people, all of it was so much. We did finally find a path to the ocean that was more rocky than muddy and Fiona and I both made it to the water. 

It was also really hot and there were a lot of people. Kate got overwhelmed with all of it, and at one point I was worried Ken was going to pass out. Someone did collapse and then needed to be taken away in a cart - not sure exactly how that works... but we all made it back up the stairs, gatorade was purchased, and Ken and Alice took the shuttle back up to the main building while Fiona, Kate and I walked back. But then Ken and Alice got the car and met us at the front. 

It was really incredible. I just loved it. It is magical to visit places in real life and see incredible things with your own eyes. The pictures just don't do it justice. I'm sad that Kate melted down. It was hard on her, and everyone else. I was really cross and hard on her too. It was not a good moment. We didn't bounce back from the ugliness, but we did pick ourselves up and sort ourselves out, apologies were made and things did get better.
















When Ken first came into my life he had a neon orange hat with a deer on it. This is the baseball cap version that I purchased at the gas station. Ken isn't sure if he loves it or hates it, but he was grateful to have a hat in the sun.









Lobster flavoured chips crack me up!
Our next stop was Moncton, and Boston Pizza where Kate could enjoy her favourite meal! This was a real smile, and everyone felt so much better after lunch!
And then it was on to Nova Scotia! Goodbye New Brunswick!

No comments: