Monday, December 26, 2022

Fiona and Her Little People

I've posted about this before, when Kate was little. I love Little People, Fisher Price Little People. I generally love toys, but since I was a little kid, I've loved Little People. I loved setting up a town, and setting up families in the houses. Kate and Fiona are my toy people. Alice not so much, she enjoys different play activities. We have a lot of Little People houses and I love that Fiona is still enjoying them.

When Suzanne and I were little we'd set up a circular town with all of the houses facing open into the middle of the circle. We'd fight over who was who and who made up our families, and who'd get each building. But we'd play. I know memory does weird things, and what we think of as authentic memories are distorted over time. But I do remember not wanting to grow up. I loved playing with toys for I think much longer than most kids my age. I'm glad I was the oldest of four, that I got to play for longer with my younger siblings.

Fiona does a good job playing by herself. She wishes her sisters would play with her, but that doesn't really happen. This morning Fiona was feeling worried that she was too old and that someone would make fun of her - specifically because I picked out a new Little People toy for her from Grandma for Christmas. She actually shed a tear at the thought of someone making fun of her, of thinking she was too old for these toys. 



Fiona is 9.5 this Christmas. I hope she has a few more years of toys, because she has a lifetime ahead of "not" toy time. I think I got this when I was a kid. I didn't want to grow up, I didn't want to outgrow my toys. I remember crying when I had outgrown the kids area at Ontario Place the summer I was 12. I wasn't ready to grow up. Finding joy at different ages and stages of our lives can be very challenging. Today I'm so very grateful for my little person that still loves her Little People.

No comments: