A few days after Alice's birthday she told me she had made a decision, that she wanted to donate her money to the food bank. I asked her if she was sure many times, and she explained to me that she didn't need to buy anything. Her friends were very generous with their gifts, she had everything she needed, and she didn't need more toys, because she didn't play with them anyway. Her Grandmother gave her $50 for her birthday, and her Grandma's friend Sarah gave her $10. So Alice was sure, she wanted to donate her $60 to the food bank.
When I looked at the food bank website information it talked about online donations, but Alice had cash, and I wanted her to give in the cash. So I filled out the 'contact us' form and Marg got back to me right away. We made an appointment for today. Marg said Alice could come and see the operations.
Alice felt nervous going in and meeting Marg, but Marg was so friendly and fun, she helped Alice to feel comfortable. (And her son is in Sum41!) She explained that everything in the food bank was donated by the community. They didn't have any corporate sponsors. They spend $1000 on milk every other week. They get so much food donated between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then donations drop off. The shelves did look bare but there were lots of volunteers bringing things in and putting them out.
I'm grateful for people like Marg doing such good things in the world. I'm grateful for Alice's generous heart. I'm grateful that we can do a little bit to help out.


No comments:
Post a Comment