Today was a weird day, and I knew it would be. My school is big. There are about 700 students and 60 staff members. This past year I was teaching music and only music. I taught 15 different classes, one grade 4, three grade 5, one grade 5/6, three grade 6, three grade 7 and three grade 8 classes. (And if you added it up you're right that's only 14, there was a grade 2 class that I saw once every few weeks for one period of character literacy)
I was less vocal about my pregnancy this time around. I waited ages to tell the kids and I guess some classes I didn't necessarily announce things - and of course kids don't always hear what you say anyway so I still had kids in the last week saying - I thought you were pregnant. There were a number of teachers - that although they knew I was pregnant didn't realize that today was my last day. One teacher asked me if I was going to teach to March Break, to which I replied I was due in two weeks and wanted a little break!
The most popular question of today from staff was - are you so excited to be done? Answer - I feel a mixture of emotions. The most predominant is exhaustion. I just want to go home and get organized - nest, pack my hospital bag. And I feel overwhelmed thinking about being Mom to two. AND I feel slightly sad to say goodbye to the kids - most of them anyway. I like what I do and I really like the kids I teach and yes I am thrilled to be off for a year, to be home with my favourite kid plus one!
I walked out of the building today having left my room completely organized. I just need to finish off a couple of notes for my replacement and I can start to enjoy a little break before the real work begins!
No comments:
Post a Comment