Friday, July 23, 2010

The Bates-es-ses

July 12-23
My sister... My sister has always loved to drive.  I remember the heated arguments that we would have when we were teenagers, over who's turn it was to drive.  She drove here, there and everywhere.  For her second car she decided that she wanted to learn how to drive stick, so she bought a 5-speed and she did.  She's driven across the country many, many times.  I'm sure her most favourite journey of all was our trip from Provo to D.C. in the December before she started the Washington Seminar program.  Why all this talk of driving, well because if my sister wasn't so fond of driving I doubt she'd ever consider putting four kids (or in this case three) in a mini-van and driving for 12 hours - she being the only driver.  My sister is brave, braver than brave and slightly crazy!  And I'm so glad that she is.

She arrived in Tottenham on the evening of the 12th with Anna, Thomas, and Joey.  (We were almost ready to receive them!)  I was so excited for her and the kiddies to come so we could just hang out.  And hang out we did - mostly in the house, because although she isn't afraid of driving, she is afraid of 100% humidity, and so am I!  And then there's the fact that I live kind of in the middle of no where and although there are a few fun things to do, they mostly involve being outside - and more driving!

Suzanne and the three kiddies spent the first week with me in Tottenham.  On Saturday, July 17th, Isaac flew from Boston to Buffalo as an unaccompanied minor and Suzanne relocated to my Mom's in Thornhill for the second week of her stay.  Over the course of her visit I sadly didn't take very many pictures.  I kept forgetting about it, which is really unlike me... However even though there were many more things that transpired, here are a few of things we did when she was here.

We played at my house.






























I tried to take pictures of the girls, even if it was sometimes dangerous for Anna!

































































The girls watched youtube videos with Grandma.













We celebrated Thomas' 5th birthday.






























We went to the park.









































Other things that we did that went undocumented - play time in the inflatable pool in my backyard, going to see Toy Story 3, a visit/swim at Auntie Lizzie's, a trip to Ontario Place, Suzanne went to meet baby Siena, a trip to the distillery district, a trip to Orangeville, a trip to Alliston, a family bbq with steaks from the KEG, and a trip to the airport in Buffalo.

I'm so glad I have a sister and I'm so glad my sister is Suzanne!

1 comment:

Bates Blogger said...

Ah, thanks.
Love the picture of the girls and the pig. Classic.